Hey Halley & McArthur, AR! Aristotle Broadband is here and ready to deliver high-speed internet to your homes & businesses. And the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) Program can help households in financial need get essential internet service.
1.800.814.2747 or Complete the Online Form
The federal government has established the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) Program to help households in financial need get essential internet services. Learn more about qualifying for EBB discounts in Internet Discounts.
Halley is an unincorporated community in Desha County, Arkansas. John J. Bowie purchased land in the area in 1857. (John was the eldest brother of James "Jim" Bowie, a 19th-century American pioneer, slave trader, and soldier who played a prominent role in the Texas Revolution and was among the Americans who died at the Battle of the Alamo.) Construction of the Mississippi, Ouachita and Red River Railroad—the first chartered railway in Alabama—began in 1852, and 7 mi of track had been laid west from Eunice by the start of the Civil War. The line passed through Bowie's land, and a stop there was called "Bowie Station". The railroad was completed after the war, but abandoned in 1875 after flooding on the Mississippi River damaged the railbed and bridges. Highway 208 between Eunice and Halley was built on the abandoned railbed.
Bowie Station was later renamed "Halley" after early settlers, the Halley family, and in 1901, a line of the Missouri Pacific Railroad was built through Halley.
Blues multi-instrumentalist musician in Memphis jug band ensembles, Dewey Corley (1898–1974), was born in Halley.
McArthur is a historic community five miles north of McGehee (Desha County) on Arkansas Highway 1. It was first named McArthur Station in honor of Zack McArthur, an early settler in the area. A post office operated at McArthur from 1907 to 1918, but the settlement was never incorporated.
Because McArthur is located near Macon and Coon bayous, once navigable waterways, it was already somewhat populated when the St. Louis, Iron Mountain and Southern Railroad (later called the Missouri Pacific Railroad, then Union Pacific) completed a railroad bridge over the Arkansas River at Yancopin in 1904. The railroad allowed timber to be harvested, processed, and shipped out. Several stores opened, and a one-room school was constructed there to support the families employed in the timber industry.
The virgin hardwood timberlands were vital to the development of McArthur, Desha County, and much of eastern Arkansas. Although the land was cheap, major capital investments were made to transport the harvested timber to Arkansas City (Desha County), then located on the Mississippi River, twenty-three miles to the east. Roads through the swampy wilderness around McArthur were almost non-existent in 1920. Short line railroad tracks were built throughout the timberland by large landholding companies such as Breece Manufacturing Company, which operated a locomotive with forty cars hauling logs to be loaded onto the Missouri Pacific train at McArthur.
Missouri Pacific could not keep pace with the demand for transportation. In October 1920, the Breech Manufacturing Company, whose short line railroad was called the Arkansas City and Coon Bayou Railroad, filed an application with the Interstate Commerce Commission for permission to connect with the Missouri Pacific at McArthur and use the Missouri Pacific tracks to haul their logs themselves to their manufacturing enterprises at Arkansas City. The petition was denied in January 1921, as the general public would not benefit.
Most large timberland holding companies like Breech provided employment for a few years until the timber was decimated. Many defaulted on the county’s much needed taxes. The Flood of 1927 inundated all of Desha County. When floodwaters finally subsided, most timber companies abandoned their operations.
Some former laborers in the timber industries bought land around the McArthur area and became farmers, which is the primary industry in the twenty-first century. As of 2012, there are no businesses operating, and children are bussed to McGehee to attend school. Some residents are educators or employed at the large Potlatch paper mill located near Arkansas City.